All permit applications are available to apply for electronically, through the Permit Portal.
When filling out an electronic permit application, depending on the permit type, there may be a submittal document required. Each permit type has its own set of requirements and details you will need to provide.
Below is the specific information that will be needed to complete the listed permit application.
Permit Application Type: Commercial Alteration (Improvement to an Existing Structure)
A detailed description is needed for every project. Note: on the application, the area for this description has a red asterisk. Be Specific!
- Adding a bathroom
- Adding an office
- Moving a wall to expand the customer service area
Submittals are needed for any project, that requires prior approval, through a plan review.
Submittals that are not needed for your project, will be removed during the initial application review. Additional submittal requirements may be added during the review, as needed.
Documents are required to be uploaded as a digital PDF or as a scanned PDF. All pages of a document are to be uploaded as one document, not individual pages. Each of the below-listed requirements are to be a separate submittal.
Visit the General Requirements for Submittals page for document detailed requirements.
- Floodplain Significant Improvement Determination (only if the project is in the floodplain)
- Landlord Letter of Permissions for Tenant (owner must give consent to alter the building)
- Asbestos Survey (if disturbing sheetrock, ceilings, flooring, etc., must hire a certified asbestos tester to provide the survey)
- ORCAA Notification (this is a permit you purchase through ORCAA if you are doing a large amount of demo or your Asbestos comes back positive and you need to have it moved.
- Asbestos Abatement Verification (this is required if you had any asbestos removed)
- Floor Plan (A Floor Plan will be required for this project. The floor plan will need to be the layout of the building showing where the rooms are located along with the windows that may be being replaced or installed, along with the dimensions of the windows, and doors.)
- Construction Plans
- Energy Code Compliance Forms (Washington State Energy Code Requirements)
- Engineering Calculations (This requirement is only if the project has been deemed to need engineering)
- Final Flood Proofing or Final Elevation Certificate (required if the work being done, has been determined to be a significant improvement within the floodplain)
This section of the online application will require you to provide the below information.
- How many stories is the building?
- How many dwelling units are there, if any?
- What is the building's square footage?
- What is the Total square footage of the remodel?
Permit fees will be based on the project valuation. The valuation is the full cost that includes all materials and labor at market price.
All fee structures can be viewed on the Fees page.
- Building Fees
Other Possible Requirements
This section of the electronic application will have a link for the possible additional permits needed for the project. Any additional permits listed, that are not required, will be removed during the review process.
The below links will take you to instructions, on the information needed to complete them.