Property Maintenance Division
IMPORTANT MESSAGE: CITY HALL WILL BE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 16TH 2021
THOSE WHO ARE DOING WORK WITHOUT A PERMIT WILL BE RED TAGGED AND WILL BE SUBJECTED TO A DOUBLE FEE.
Rental License Registration and Rental Inspection
WHAT IT IS
The Rental Registration and Inspection Program (RRIP) helps ensure that all rental housing in Aberdeen is safe and meets basic housing maintenance requirements. The program educates property owners, managers, and renters about City housing codes and their responsibilities; and requires owners to verify that their properties meet these standards when registering with the City.
- The Rental Registration and Inspection Program requires landlords to register all rental housing units in Aberdeen, from single-family houses to large apartment buildings.
- Exceptions to the registration requirement include commercial lodging, state-licensed facilities such as adult family homes, and housing owned by government groups or by housing authorities such as Aberdeen Housing Authority. See AMC 15.10 for more detail.
- Landlords must register their properties as soon as they have a tenant in the rental space.
- Registrations must be renewed every year.
- The ordinance requires that all registered rental properties be inspected at least once every 3 years.
- The owner must hire a qualified rental housing inspector or City inspector to do the inspections.
This ordinance does not cover complaint-based enforcement of City housing standards. We will continue our complaint-based process for housing code violations. Our City housing inspectors will continue to enforce all housing code standards and other applicable codes.
READ THE CODE
Read the text of the Property Maintenance and Rental Registration and Inspection.
READ Washington state landlord-tenant act
Read the text of the Washington State Residential Landlord-Tenant Act
2ND FLOOR WILL BE OPEN BY APPOINTMENT ONLY, EFFECTIVE FEBUARY 16TH 2021.
DUE TO COVID-19 CONCERNS, RENTAL INSPECTIONS WILL BE POSTPONED UNTIL JUNE. IF YOUR UNIT IS VACANT, WE CAN SCHEDULE AN INSPECTION AT ANYTIME.